A grease fire in the kitchen set the pub ablaze the day after Christmas destroying the popular establishment on Glenwood Avenue.
Firefighters got the call just after 10:30 a.m. reporting a fire at the Hibernain Irish Pub and Restaurant. The fire was extinguished at 11:35 a.m.
Smoke could be seen pouring from the restaurant located at 311 Glenwood Ave. Crews had roads in the area roped off while they battled the fire.
The pub did have smoke detectors, but no spinkler system.
Glenwood Avenue was closed between Lane and North Street. North Street between Glenwood and Boylan Avenue was also closed.
The streets around the Hibernian are now open again with the exception of North Street, which is still closed.
A post on the Facebook page for the pub read, "Everyone is okay. Thank you for your kind words. We'll keep you posted when we receive more news."
Brian Cummings was watching the fire, "It's kind of crazy, man. It's like a little hometown pub. It's kind of crazy, especially near the holidays."
Stay tuned to NBC17.com for more information as it becomes available.
1205 Front St., Raleigh
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.