Wilmington 10 prosecutor 'proud of the work I did' - WNCN: News, Weather

Wilmington 10 prosecutor tells WNCN he has no regrets

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

The man who prosecuted the Wilmington 10 told WNCN he has no regrets about how he pursued the case, leading to the convictions of nine men and one woman in the heralded case from 1971.

The firebombing of Mike's Grocery happened on Feb. 6, 1971. Gov. Beverly Perdue officially pardoned the Wilmington 10 last month.

Anchor Penn Holderness went to interview Stroud in Surf City, where he is retired. It was Stroud's first interview on camera about the event in decades, and came after new information about the Wilmington 10 case surfaced last year.

"I am proud of the work I did," Stroud told Holderness. "I do not know of many other young men that would have prosecuted all day, worked at nights and weekends with two black detectives to try to come up with witnesses to support all this testimony.  I worked hard because I wanted justice accomplished."

Three members of the Wilmington 10 visited WNCN on Tuesday, and expressed disappointment in Stroud's comments.

 

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.