NC lottery ad changes going to House panel - WNCN: News, Weather

NC lottery ad changes going to House panel

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

Bipartisan legislation to place more advertising restrictions on North Carolina's lottery and scale back its marketing connections to education is to be considered in the state House.

A judiciary committee scheduled debate Wednesday on a bill with more than 50 co-sponsors to tinker with the lottery seven years after its first tickets were sold.

The measure would bar the lottery from calling itself the "North Carolina Education Lottery" and prohibit lottery ads or sponsorships with universities. The odds of winning a game's largest prize would have to be disclosed, not the overall odds of winning a prize.

Gov. Pat McCrory also has suggested less money should be spent on advertising. Lottery boosters say more restrictions could reduce ticket sales and net proceeds for education that exceeded $450 million last year.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.