DURHAM, N.C. -
In the past few months, Durham police have noticed an
increase in vehicle thefts involving specific models.
Of the 248 motor vehicle thefts reported between November
2012 and mid-February 2013, 93 were Acuras or Hondas. Thieves appear to be favoring Acuras and
Hondas from the model years 1990 to 1996.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau says the top five
vehicles stolen in NC and nationwide in 2012 were: 1994 Honda Accord, 1998
Honda Civic, 2006 Ford pickup, 1991 Toyota Camry and 2000 Dodge Caravan.
Car owners should take as many precautions as possible
- Don't leave keys in car or ignition
- Don't leave car running unattended, even to warm
- Don't leave valuables in car
- Park in well-lit, busy areas
- Keep windows rolled up and car locked
- Don't leave personal identification documents
in car. Carry your insurance and
registration card with you.
- Write down license plate number and VIN number
on a card and keep with your driver's license.
Police will need this information immediately if vehicle is stolen
- Look into purchasing an auto security system if
you drive a theft-prone vehicle or live in a high-theft area