Cellphone use heavy, but still operating in Boston - WNCN: News, Weather

Cellphone use heavy, but still operating in Boston

Posted: Updated:
Boston police clear an area following an explosion near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa) Boston police clear an area following an explosion near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)
WASHINGTON -

Cellphone companies say service is operating in the Boston area, but with heavy traffic following of the explosions at the Boston Marathon.

A law enforcement official, citing an intelligence briefing, said cellphone service had been shut down Monday in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives.

But officials with Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel said there had been no such requests.

Sprint spokeswoman Crystal Davis said: "Minus some mild call blocking on our Boston network due to increased traffic, our service is operating normally."

Two people were killed and scores injured when two explosives detonated near the finish line of the marathon.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.