The Raleigh Fire Department said improperly discarded smoking materials started an apartment fire that displaced 25 residents Saturday morning.
A neighbor called 911 just after 4 a.m. to report a fire at 1501 Graduate Lane off Gorman Street near the campus of N.C. State.
The Raleigh Fire Department said the fire was under control by 6 a.m. after 50 firefighters responded to the call.
No one was injured in the fire but 70 percent of the building was damaged leaving 12 units uninhabitable.
Raleigh police and the Red Cross were on scene to assist those displaced by the fire.
Amtrak services are delayed in Morrisville due to a freight trail derailment, authorities said.
1205 Front St., Raleigh N.C., 27609