Student shoots himself in Ohio classroom - WNCN: News, Weather

Student shoots himself in Ohio classroom

Posted: Updated:
CINCINNATI -

A student at an all-male Catholic high school pulled out a gun in front of other students in his first-period classroom Monday morning and shot himself in an apparent suicide attempt, police said.
    
The youth was taken to a hospital, and there appeared to be no threat to other students at La Salle High School, an archdiocese school just west of Cincinnati. The school was immediately put on lockdown as a precaution, police said. Students were later dismissed for the day, and the school posted a message on the announcement board in front of the building: "Please Pray for the Students of La Salle."
    
At around 8 a.m., "a student produced a gun inside one of the classrooms and shot himself, and we're dealing with that now," Green Township Police Chief Bart West told reporters. School officials said the shooting was during the first class period of the day. No information was released immediately on the type of gun the student had.
    
West said the student apparently was trying to kill himself, but he had no other information on why he fired the shot. He said authorities weren't aware of any threats made concerning the school or any other students. Authorities said all other students were safe.
    
Students, some in tears, gathered in the school gym. The school's website said all students were safe and being released to parents "due to an attempted suicide involving one student."
    
A school official said counselors were meeting with students, and officials were talking to students to try to learn more about the student who fired the shot.
    
"We just ask that you pray for him and his family," said Greg Tankersley, La Salle's director of community development. "It's a tragic situation for this young man."
    
He said the youth was "fighting for his life." A message was left at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center about the student's condition.
    
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati sent additional counselors to the school, he said, and a priest went to the hospital where the student was taken. Tankersley said he wouldn't release other information about the student at this point.
    
In the aftermath of last year's fatal shootings of three students in Chardon High School in northeast Ohio and December's Sandy Hook Elementary shooting rampage in Connecticut, most schools have taken steps to increase security. In Ohio, that's included taking shooting prevention and response training courses offered by the state attorney general and updating safety procedures with police.
    
"We always have concerns about school security," West said, but he added that La Salle "did an excellent job" in responding Monday. He said township police had met recently with school officials to review their safety plan.
    
"We're going to go back and look at everything," Tankersley replied when asked at a news conference about a gun getting into the school. But he added that Monday's top priority was the condition of the wounded student and the well-being of the others.
   

  • U.S.More>>

  • American Ebola doc urges help fighting outbreak

    American Ebola doc urges help fighting outbreak

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:57 AM EDT2014-08-22 08:57:31 GMT
    Dr. Kent Brantly (Samaritan's Purse / EPA file)Dr. Kent Brantly (Samaritan's Purse / EPA file)
    An American doctor who was released from an Atlanta hospital after surviving the Ebola virus says he's glad for any attention his situation brought to African countries fighting an epidemic.
    An American doctor who was released from an Atlanta hospital after surviving the Ebola virus says he's glad for any attention his situation brought to African countries fighting an epidemic.
  • American Ebola doc: 'I am thrilled to be alive'

    American Ebola doc: 'I am thrilled to be alive'

    Thursday, August 21 2014 8:32 PM EDT2014-08-22 00:32:40 GMT
    A doctor at the hospital that treated two American aid workers who were infected with the deadly Ebola virus in Africa says their discharge poses no public health risk.
    A doctor at the hospital that treated two American aid workers who were infected with the deadly Ebola virus in Africa says their discharge poses no public health risk.
  • Holder says he understands mistrust of police

    Holder says he understands mistrust of police

    Thursday, August 21 2014 1:23 AM EDT2014-08-21 05:23:27 GMT
    Police and protesters in Ferguson were finally able to share the streets again at night, putting aside for at least a few hours some of the hostility that had filled those hours with tear gas and smoke.
    Attorney General Eric Holder sought Wednesday to reassure the people of Ferguson about the investigation into Michael Brown's death and said he understands why many black Americans do not trust police, recalling how he...
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.