Boone officials say heater replaced without permit - WNCN: News, Weather

Boone officials say heater replaced without permit

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Kingsport home destroyed in tornado

    Kingsport home destroyed in tornado

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:05 AM EDT2014-07-28 04:05:05 GMT
    Video sent into us by a viewer shows a tornado moving swiftly through the Rock Springs Road area in Kingsport. In the blink of an eye, that tornado left one home in pieces.
    Video sent into us by a viewer shows a tornado moving swiftly through the Rock Springs Road area in Kingsport. In the blink of an eye, that tornado left one home in pieces.
  • June Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    June Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    Thursday, July 10 2014 5:30 PM EDT2014-07-10 21:30:26 GMT
    Gregory A. DarnellGregory A. Darnell
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in June by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in June by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.

  • Tornado Watch continues, likely tornado in Washington, Sullivan Co.'s

    Tornado Watch continues, likely tornado in Washington, Sullivan Co.'s

    Sunday, July 27 2014 10:44 PM EDT2014-07-28 02:44:10 GMT
    Viewers captured and pictures of what appeared to be a rope tornado touching down in Washington County, TN.Viewers captured and pictures of what appeared to be a rope tornado touching down in Washington County, TN.
    A powerful storm system spawned a tornado and left behind a trail of damaged through in several Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia Counties.The worst of the damage appears to be in the Gray and Rock Springs area of Washington County where viewers captured video and pictures of what appeared to be a tornado.
    A powerful storm system spawned a tornado and left behind a trail of damaged through in several Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia Counties.The worst of the damage appears to be in the Gray and Rock Springs area of Washington County where viewers captured video and pictures of what appeared to be a tornado.

BOONE, N.C. (AP) - A Boone inspector says a motel pool heater that leaked carbon monoxide and killed a Washington state couple and later a South Carolina boy was installed without the knowledge of the town's inspection department.

Todd Miller with the Boone Planning and Inspections Department says the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza never told the city about the new heater. Miller says the motel did not apply for a required permit for the change.

Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning killed 73-year-old Daryl Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Jenkins of Longview, Wash., on April 16. They were staying in a room directly over the pool's maintenance room.

11-year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died in the same room June 8.

An attorney for the motel did not respond to a message.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.