NC prosecutors oppose prisoner home releases - WNCN: News, Weather

NC prosecutors oppose prisoner home releases

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

North Carolina prosecutors are asking Gov. Pat McCrory's administration to scrap a program that allows some minimum-security inmates to make home visits as their release date nears.
    
The Conference of District Attorneys said the state's program puts public safety at risk and denies justice to the families of those wronged by the inmate. But McCrory's administration defends the practice, calling it a well-regulated program that plays a necessary role in rehabilitation.
    
The policy allows some minimum-security inmates with good disciplinary records to make home visits within a year of their release to help ease re-entry into the outside world. The policy has allowed more than 2,000 convicted felons to go home briefly since 2008, according to the district attorneys.
    
The program has been around for decades, but prosecutors said they have recently uncovered how widely it is used.
    
An analysis of a recent weekend compiled by the conservative Civitas Institute for prosecutors found 149 convicted felons were allowed to leave prison facilities. Of those, 36 were convicted of murder and 13 had been sentenced to life in prison.
    
"What shocks the conscience more than the release of these dangerous individuals is the fact that victims and prosecutors are not aware of their presence in the community," said Phil Berger Jr., president of the N.C. Conference of District Attorneys and the son of Senate Leader Phil Berger.
    
McCrory's administration defends the practice. David Guice, commissioner of the Division of Adult Correction, said it is a common program that serves an important function.
    
"For over three decades, the home leave program has allowed for inmates who are nearing release to re-establish family relationships and community socialization in preparation for their transition back into the community," Guice said in a statement. "Every inmate is carefully screened and selected and undergoes a thorough investigation before admission into the program."

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.