Wake Co. mother shares her personal story of abortion - WNCN: News, Weather

Wake Co. mother shares her personal story of abortion

Posted: Updated:
FUQUAY-VARINA, N.C. -

The topic of abortion is a passionate one for a lot of people.

One mother in Fuquay-Varina called WNCN to share her story about how the choices she made impacted her life.

Nicole Sickles and her high school sweetheart ended up about to have a baby at the age of 18.

"I was panicked, I wanted to keep the baby he didn't want to keep the baby, and I loved him so I had an abortion at 11 weeks," explained Sickles.

It's a moment she says haunts her to this day.

"The machine went inside me and it was like being cut in half by a chainsaw," she recalled.

But Sickles recovered, and moved to California where she landed spots in movies and was a model.

Her life seemed to be turning, around until one night while on a date with a Navy SEAL.

"A gentleman came in, kicked the door open and put a gun to his head,' she recalled, "I was brutally raped and almost murdered, and I was impregnated by this rapist."

Once again Sickles faced a choice.

"I was scared to bring this child into the world because I was afraid that everyone would think that I did something wrong," she said.

Sickles had her second abortion.

"Now I live with pain, I live with guilt, I live with remorse. I murdered my baby. I murdered my child," she said.

Years later, Sickles got married and the couple was expecting a baby boy. She was not expecting to have to make a difficult choice yet again. Her pregnancy went south fast, putting her own life at stake.

"I was going to have this child, I was not going to abort another baby," she said.

Weeks later Adam was born.

"He was born with leukemia and down syndrome," she said. He faced many medical issues, but he was one tough little fighter and now is growing every day, alongside his four brothers and sisters.

Sickles says it's a miracle that all came down to a choice.

"I believe in women's rights, I do, but I would rather have known what God gave me then to have destroyed it," she said. "Adam's taught me more about love and sacrifice and faith and pride and honor than I've ever known in my entire life."

Jonathan Rodriguez

Born in California but growing up in South Carolina, Jonathan Rodriguez joined WNCN in June 2013 as a digital journalist. More>>

• Wake CountyMore>>

Dr. Campbell: New treatments for migraine headaches

Wednesday, April 23 2014 7:51 AM EDT2014-04-23 11:51:27 GMT

The FDA has just approved a new device to prevent migraine headaches. This is the first device of its kind and may revolutionize the way we treat headaches.

Man shot at Raleigh Internet sweepstakes parlor

Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:38 AM EDT2014-04-23 10:38:43 GMT

Raleigh police are investigating an early morning shooting.

Raleigh police are investigating an early morning shooting.A man was shot at an Internet sweepstakes parlor in the 1900 block of Capital Boulevard.Crews took the victim to the hospital and have not released the identity of the victim. Call police if you have any information.

Price to attend celebration of RDU Terminal 1

Wednesday, April 23 2014 5:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 09:23:54 GMT
    U.S. Rep. David Price is scheduled to attend a formal ceremony mark the reopening of the refurbished Terminal 1 at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...

Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.

High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

Tuesday, April 22 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-04-22 16:27:58 GMT
    According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since. "In a way it's kind of
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.