CARRBORO, N.C. -
Families in Orange County are getting help recovering after flood waters destroyed everything they had.
Heidi Martinez and her family were victims of the flood. They lost their home and two cars. "The beds...we lost all the furniture," Martinez said.
Martinez is getting help at the Green Chair Project with assistance from the Red Cross and Catholic charities. Green Chair Project is a non-proft that supplies donated household items to those who have hit hard times.
"We partner with local agencies that are already helping folks make a transition after homelessness, after crisis or disaster," said co-founder of Green Chair Project, Jackie Craig.
Craig said Martinez is just the first of 45 flood victims that needs help.
At Green Chair Project, Martinez and her family have found a new place to live and she is able to make it a home.
"Never I think that this happen to me...and I appreciate it," said Martinez.
A household furnishing drive is being held July 20 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1853 Capital Blvd in Raleigh and at St. Thomas More Catholic Church at 940 Carmichael Street in Chapel Hill.
Clean and gently used items are welcome.
- Bed frames and headboards (We can not accept mattresses)
- Couches, loveseats (We can not accept sleeper sofas, futons, upholstery in need of repair, with pet damage, signs of pests or other infestation)
- Recliners, side chairs, ottomans
- Dining Tables & Chairs
- Kitchenware: pots, pans, utensils, dishes, glasses, baking & serving pieces (especially sauce pans, skillets, can openers, vegetable peelers, whisks, cookie sheets, and muffin tins),
- Microwaves and small appliances like coffee makers, toaster, blenders, crock-pots, etc. in working condition
- Bookcases and plastic storage bins
- Side & coffee tables & occasional pieces
- Table & floor lamps (light bulbs and extension cords appreciated too.)
- Linens: Sheets, blankets, pillowcases, and mattress pads in good condition (please wash prior to donating)
- Towels, washcloths, Shower curtains, rings and liners, tablecloths, place-mats and cloth napkins (please wash prior to donating)
- Home accessories: Wall art, mirrors, throw pillows, decorative accessories
- Cleaning supplies, vacuum cleaners, swiffers, mops, brooms, buckets and indoor trash cans
- TVs - We accept working LCD, Plasma & LED TVs. We can only accept CRT TVs that are 27" or smaller and have a component video input (Red/Blue/Green) For more information on how to identify a component video input please click here.