NC, Raleigh to negotiate over hospital land deal - WNCN: News, Weather

NC, Raleigh to negotiate over Dix land deal

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

After months of grumbling by Republican legislators, a lease deal between former Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue and the city of Raleigh over 325 acres where a mental hospital once stood has been shelved until next year.
    
Gov. Pat McCrory's office on Tuesday provided The Associated Press a copy of an agreement the city and the governor's administration signed earlier this month which puts the existing 75-year lease for the closed Dorothea Dix campus on hold until next June. The city won't make lease payments or go ahead with development on what local officials envision as an oasis near downtown. Both sides plan to assess the land's environmental condition and market value.

One neighbor of Dix, Sonya Bridges, was "not too happy about that because people are still wanting employment. You know, whatever that will generate some income for families and jobs for people, that's what I'd like to see and I'd like to see that go ahead and take off."
    
Former Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue signed the $68 million lease with Raleigh officials last year just before leaving office. Republican senators earlier this year demanded the deal be scrapped. The deal was challenged by Republicans who lead both the state House and Senate.
    
The Senate voted to dissolve the city's lease immediately, saying it didn't represent the property's fair-market value and failed to protect health services as the property was originally intended. House leaders and McCrory wanted to wait until April for time to work out another deal. City officials threatened to sue if the lease was voided.
    
"We're going to let the governor and his people and the city negotiate," said Sen. Louis Pate, R-Wayne, who introduced legislation to scrap the lease. "I don't think anyone wouldn't like to see a park built. The stumbling block is how do we get there and how can the state protect its investment?"
    
McCrory is pleased that the agreement will give the state and Raleigh officials more time to negotiate an agreement that is acceptable for both parties involved, spokesman Ryan Tronovitch said.
    
The lease calls for Raleigh to pay $500,000 a year, plus 1.5 percent annual increases, in a deal worth $68 million over 75 years.
    
The site is named for Dix, an early mental health advocate who was instrumental in launching institutions in the 19th century, including the now-shuttered hospital on the property named for her. It stood there for 150 years.

  • Wake CountyMore>>

  • Raleigh Police release photos of robbers of sweepstakes parlor

    Raleigh Police release photos of robbers of sweepstakes parlor

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:34 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:34:32 GMT

    Raleigh police are investigating an early morning shooting.

    Raleigh police are investigating an early morning shooting.A man was shot at an Internet sweepstakes parlor in the 1900 block of Capital Boulevard.Crews took the victim to the hospital and have not released the identity of the victim. Call police if you have any information.
  • More than $100k in penalties issued in NC State Fair accident

    More than $100k in penalties issued in NC State Fair accident

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:12 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:12:13 GMT
    Five people were injured on the Vortex when the ride jolted into motion at the 2013 N.C. State Fair.Five people were injured on the Vortex when the ride jolted into motion at the 2013 N.C. State Fair.
    The Department of Labor issued more than $100k in penalties in connection with an accident at the State Fair in 2013 that injured five people.
    The Department of Labor issued more than $100k in penalties in connection with an accident at the State Fair in 2013 that injured five people.
  • 9th suspect arrested in Wake Forest kidnapping

    9th suspect arrested in Wake Forest kidnapping

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 1:01 PM EDT2014-04-23 17:01:55 GMT
    Frank Janssen was kidnapped from his Wake Forest home on April 5.Frank Janssen was kidnapped from his Wake Forest home on April 5.
    The ninth suspect named in an indictment handed up Tuesday has been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man.   
    The ninth suspect named in an indictment handed up Tuesday has been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man.   
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Monday, April 14 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-04-14 20:07:04 GMT
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
  • Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.