The Durham Police Department issued a crime alert concerning a rash of robberies over the past few weeks in the areas of Lambeth Circle and South LaSalle Street.
Durham police said the suspects in the robberies have been armed with guns and have taken phones and other items from the victims.
The robberies have occurred in parking lots, breezeways. Robbery victims were walking to or from their apartments and/or vehicles, police said.
Anyone with information about any robberies in these areas is asked to call District 3 Criminal Investigations at (919) 560-4583 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
The Durham Police Department suggests the following safety tips -
• Be aware of your surroundings. If you see anything suspicious, do not hesitate to call 911.
• Have your keys ready when you approach your apartment or vehicle.
• Do not carry extra cash or valuables.
• Do not walk alone at night. Darkness gives robbers an advantage.
• If someone follows you, do not drive home. Go to a well-lit place and report it.
• Avoid loiterers or people hanging out in groups.
• Walk briskly and with confidence.
• Park in a well-lit area of the apartment complex.
• Do not let strangers inside your apartment. Use your peephole to see who is at the door.