1 dead, others overcome at NC farm - WNCN: News, Weather

1 dead, others overcome at NC farm

Posted: Updated:
FRANKLIN, N.C. -

 

Authorities in Macon County say one person died and 16 others were hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in a packing facility at a farm.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reports (http://avlne.ws/148Ib4s ) Matt Mason, assistant chief of Clarks Creek Fire and Rescue, said emergency responders found two workers unresponsive Friday inside a refrigerated packing house where fruits and vegetables are stored.

Mason said one of the two workers suffered cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at Angel Medical Center in Franklin. The other was airlifted to Greenville Memorial Hospital in South Carolina. His condition was unknown.

Mason said four bystanders who stopped to help and 11 emergency workers and sheriff's office personnel were also overcome.

Mason said the N.C. Division of Occupational Safety and Health is investigating.

 

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.