Boone motel deaths: Manual recommended carbon monoxide detectors - WNCN: News, Weather

Boone motel deaths: Manual recommended carbon monoxide detectors

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • April Mugshots

    April Mugshots

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:42 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:42:32 GMT
    Thomas Allen WinstonThomas Allen Winston
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
  • 4 arrested on bath salt charges in Greene County; held without bond

    4 arrested on bath salt charges in Greene County; held without bond

    Greene County Sheriff Steve Burns, says four individuals were arrested Wednesday on charges pertaining to illegal drug activity.
    Greene County Sheriff Steve Burns, says four individuals were arrested Wednesday on charges pertaining to illegal drug activity.
  • Boyfriend of Johnny Cash's murdered great niece testifies in court

    Boyfriend of Johnny Cash's murdered great niece testifies in court

    The boyfriend of Courtney Cash, a great niece of Johnny Cash murdered in March, testified in court Wednesday during a hearing for the accused killer, 27-year-old Wayne Masciarella.
    The boyfriend of Courtney Cash, a great niece of Johnny Cash murdered in March, testified in court Wednesday during a hearing for the accused killer, 27-year-old Wayne Masciarella.
Boone, NC (AP) -

The owner's manual for the pool heater at a Boone motel where three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning this year warns detectors for the odorless gas should be put in when the heater is installed.

The Charlotte Observer obtained the owner's manual from the company that supplied the heated by using the device's model number.

The front page of the manual has a warning strongly recommending carbon monoxide detectors. Inside, there is another warning saying improperly installing the heater could cause death from carbon monoxide gas.

Authorities say the motel didn't install the detectors and didn't get a permit before installing the used heater in 2011. A married couple died one night, and an 11-year-old boy died a month later in the room above the heater.

Police are still investigating the deaths.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.