A 12 year-old boy burned in a house fire in Fayetteville was
the hospital for a second day on Friday.
Immanuel Jones was listed in good condition at the NC Jaycee
Burn Center at UNC Health Care in Chapel Hill.
The fire started around 6 a.m. Thursday at a house on
Rosehill Road in Fayetteville. While the brick home is still standing the
damage inside is extensive.
On Friday, the oldest son in the family was going through
things to see if anything could be salvaged. He said Immanuel was burned on his
feet and arms. Doctors are trying to figure out if his burns will heal on their
own. If so he can some home soon. If not, Immanuel will need to stay longer the
Immanuel and another brother, aged 14, were inside the house
when the fire started. Their parents rent the house, and they were sleeping in
the car with their seven year-old son because there was no power on in the
Firefighters believe a candle started the fire.
On Friday the pastor of nearby Hood Memorial A.M.E. Zion church
stopped by to offer assistance. His congregation will donate clothes and other
necessities to the family.
"It's got to be a blessing to them because when you get
everything destroyed, and it looks like everything is destroyed here, then they
have nothing," said Rev. Fredrick Hendley. "So they have to start over. So
we're going to be there to help them."
The American Red Cross is also helping the family find a new
place to stay. The organization is offering
emotional support as well, such a counselor or clergyman to talk to.
Brandon is a North Carolina native and UNC alum who lives in Fayetteville, and covers Cumberland County and the Sandhills. Returning to North Carolina to work as a journalist is a dream come true for Brandon.More>>