FDA receives 89 reports of illness from Chobani yogurt - WNCN: News, Weather

FDA receives 89 reports of illness from Chobani yogurt

Posted: Updated:
TWIN FALLS, Idaho -

At least 89 people have reported getting sick after eating Chobani Greek yogurt manufactured in Twin Falls, the Food and Drug Administration reported.
    
FDA spokeswoman Tamara Ward told The Times-News on Monday that some have described nausea and cramps.
    
No link has been confirmed between the illnesses and the yogurt. However, Ward says the FDA is working with Chobani to hasten its voluntary recall.
    
Chobani last week told grocery stores to destroy 35 varieties of yogurt reported to have been contaminated by a mold associated with dairy products.  Last Thursday, Chobani spokeswoman Amy Juaristi said 95 percent of the tainted product had been destroyed.
    
The affected yogurt cups have the code 16-012 and expiration dates between Sept. 11 and Oct. 7.
    
Health officials have said the yogurt is not a public health threat, but the company said last week the "mold can act as an opportunistic pathogen for those with compromised immune systems."
    
Juaristi told the newspaper on Monday that the company had identified the source of the issue at the Twin Falls plant and had taken steps to prevent it from happening again. The company has not said what caused the outbreak or how it would prevent a reoccurrence.

RELATED STORIES

  • U.S.More>>

  • Attorney: Detroit needs debt plan to survive

    Attorney: Detroit needs debt plan to survive

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:44 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:44:14 GMT
    Lawyers for Detroit will attempt to convince a judge with the start of the city's bankruptcy trial that its plans to wipe out billions of dollars in debt should be approved.
    The plan to restructure billions of dollars in debt is the vehicle the Motor City needs to free up funds to provide services to residents and allow the city to survive, one of Detroit's attorneys told the federal judge...
  • 7-year-old boy injured while target shooting in California

    7-year-old boy injured while target shooting in California

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:26 AM EDT2014-09-02 11:26:02 GMT
    A 7-year-old boy remained in a Sacramento, California, hospital Monday, two days after he was injured while target shooting, authorities said Monday.
    A 7-year-old boy remained in a Sacramento, California, hospital Monday, two days after he was injured while target shooting, authorities said Monday.
  • Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigation

    Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigation

    Monday, September 1 2014 1:27 PM EDT2014-09-01 17:27:57 GMT
    67th international film festival, Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 17, 2014. (Photo by Arthur Mola/Invision/AP)67th international film festival, Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 17, 2014. (Photo by Arthur Mola/Invision/AP)
    A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online.
    A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.