Mother of Navy yard shooter 'so, so very sorry' - WNCN: News, Weather

Mother of Navy yard shooter 'so, so very sorry'

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK -

The mother of the man who killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard says she is "so, so very sorry that this has happened."

Cathleen Alexis said Wednesday in New York City that she does not know why her son, Aaron, did what he did and she will never be able to ask him.

The mother read a statement at her home in Brooklyn. She concluded, "My heart is broken." 

Thirty-four-year-old Aaron Alexis opened fire at the Navy Yard on Monday before he was killed in a shootout with police.

Authorities say he had been suffering a host of serious mental problems including paranoia and a sleep disorder.

  • U.S.More>>

  • America doctor with Ebola to be released from Atlanta hospital

    America doctor with Ebola to be released from Atlanta hospital

    Thursday, August 21 2014 5:27 AM EDT2014-08-21 09:27:14 GMT
    Dr. Kent Brantly (Samaritan's Purse / EPA file)Dr. Kent Brantly (Samaritan's Purse / EPA file)
    An American doctor who contracted the Ebola virus while working in West Africa will be released from an Atlanta hospital on Thursday, officials said.
    An American doctor who contracted the Ebola virus while working in West Africa will be released from an Atlanta hospital on Thursday, officials said.
  • Holder says he understands mistrust of police

    Holder says he understands mistrust of police

    Thursday, August 21 2014 1:23 AM EDT2014-08-21 05:23:27 GMT
    Police and protesters in Ferguson were finally able to share the streets again at night, putting aside for at least a few hours some of the hostility that had filled those hours with tear gas and smoke.
    Attorney General Eric Holder sought Wednesday to reassure the people of Ferguson about the investigation into Michael Brown's death and said he understands why many black Americans do not trust police, recalling how he...
  • Beheading spurs new attacks on Islamic militants

    Beheading spurs new attacks on Islamic militants

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:34 PM EDT2014-08-20 23:34:42 GMT
    Militants with the Islamic State extremist group have beheaded American journalist James Foley and are threatening to kill another hostage in retaliation for U.S. airstrikes in northern Iraq.
    The United States launched a new barrage of airstrikes Wednesday against the Islamic State extremist group that beheaded American journalist James Foley and that has seized a swath of territory across Iraq and Syria....
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.