Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice' - WNCN: News, Weather

Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice'

Posted: Updated:

A former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleader is getting her next chance in the spotlight on NBC's "The Voice."

The R&B singer Donna Allen, 54, grew up in Tampa and now lives in Hollywood, Fla. Allen spent nine years working with Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine.  About 25 years later, she's the oldest contestant on NBC's hit singing competition show.

Monday night on NBC, Allen talked about her experience with Estefan.

"I've learned so much from her," she said.

Allen stopped touring to raise her son Marcus, because she wanted to see him take his first steps and watch him go to school. But a family did not stop her love of music.

"I did sing while I was raising my son," Allen said. "So, I never gave up on myself."

Her son, Marcus, is thrilled for his mother's next step.

"It's nice to see you're finally getting on the next level," he said.

Monday night, she impressed judges Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera with her rendition of "You Are So Beautiful."

Seconds into her performance, both Levine and Aguilera signaled they wanted Allen for their singing competition teams.  Both showered Allen with compliments in hopes she would pick them.

"You are so beautiful to me," Christina Aguilera said. "That voice was like the heavens opening up. I hope your journey is with me."

Adam Levine compared her to Whitney Houston and Tina Turner.

"I felt like we were at the end of the season. I want you on my team," said Levine.

After a few tense moments, Allen picked Levine to be her coach on "The Voice" and leapt into his arms when he hugged her.

"I'm hoping ‘The Voice' will help me complete my journey," Allen said. "It's been 25 years. I've waited long enough. This is for me and my son."

You can watch "The Voice" on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. on WFLA NewsChannel 8.

CLICK ON THE COACH TO SEE THEIR TEAM

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

Pinellas homeowner ends up the loser after local government mistake on property taxes

Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:59 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:59:58 GMT
    This Preservation land is at heart of homeowner tax dispute in PinellasThis Preservation land is at heart of homeowner tax dispute in Pinellas
    Melanie and Jeffrey Cornwell should have been getting a tax break for years on part of the homestead property in Dunedin they call their "little piece of Heaven." But due to a mistake at the Pinellas Property Appraiser's Office, they won't see any rebates for previous taxes, just a break on future tax bills.

RECALL: Fruit at Trader Joe's & Costco

Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:45 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:45:14 GMT
    A Central California company has issued a voluntary nationwide recall of specific lots of its fresh peaches, plums, nectarines and pluots over concerns of possible listeria contamination.

How thieves clone your credit cards

Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-07-22 13:15:02 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    Patricia Stack didn't know her debit card number had been stolen until she tried to withdraw money from her bank account. "A couple weeks ago I tried to get money out to pay my power bill and there was nothing in it."
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Couple arrested for having sex on Cortez Beach in front of beachgoers

Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:08:35 GMT
    Bradenton Beach police officers were dispatched to Cortez Beach after a few people called 911 and complained about a couple having sex publicly, right next to a little girl on the beach.

'Faces of Meth' program launched by Sheriff's office

Monday, July 21 2014 6:37 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:37:35 GMT
    'Faces of Meth' is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.
    'Faces of Meth' is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.

New surveillance shows Tampa boy's death as hit and run

Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:51:45 GMT
    A still image from a business surveillance camera shows what appears to be a small boy running on the sidewalk.A still image from a business surveillance camera shows what appears to be a small boy running on the sidewalk.
    New surveillance video has Tampa Police investigating 4-year-old Marterrance Albury's death as a hit and run.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.