Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice' - WNCN: News, Weather

Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice'

Posted: Updated:

A former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleader is getting her next chance in the spotlight on NBC's "The Voice."

The R&B singer Donna Allen, 54, grew up in Tampa and now lives in Hollywood, Fla. Allen spent nine years working with Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine.  About 25 years later, she's the oldest contestant on NBC's hit singing competition show.

Monday night on NBC, Allen talked about her experience with Estefan.

"I've learned so much from her," she said.

Allen stopped touring to raise her son Marcus, because she wanted to see him take his first steps and watch him go to school. But a family did not stop her love of music.

"I did sing while I was raising my son," Allen said. "So, I never gave up on myself."

Her son, Marcus, is thrilled for his mother's next step.

"It's nice to see you're finally getting on the next level," he said.

Monday night, she impressed judges Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera with her rendition of "You Are So Beautiful."

Seconds into her performance, both Levine and Aguilera signaled they wanted Allen for their singing competition teams.  Both showered Allen with compliments in hopes she would pick them.

"You are so beautiful to me," Christina Aguilera said. "That voice was like the heavens opening up. I hope your journey is with me."

Adam Levine compared her to Whitney Houston and Tina Turner.

"I felt like we were at the end of the season. I want you on my team," said Levine.

After a few tense moments, Allen picked Levine to be her coach on "The Voice" and leapt into his arms when he hugged her.

"I'm hoping ‘The Voice' will help me complete my journey," Allen said. "It's been 25 years. I've waited long enough. This is for me and my son."

You can watch "The Voice" on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. on WFLA NewsChannel 8.

CLICK ON THE COACH TO SEE THEIR TEAM

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

FL vehicle registration renewal fees drop

Monday, September 1 2014 6:49 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:49:59 GMT
    That little gift you get from the state on your birthday every year, to renew your car tag, is going to be cheaper starting Monday.  The cut will save drivers about $13 to $25 depending on the size of their vehicle.

Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.

Lakeland neighborhood has continuing water problems, asks 8OYS for help

Friday, August 29 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:03:34 GMT
    Some Lakeland residents are tired of wondering whether they'll have water at home. Over the past month, they tell 8 On Your Side that they've lost water with no warning at least five times. And what's worse, the water stays off for up to eight hours at a time
  • NewsMore>>

Labor Day - more than just a day off

Monday, September 1 2014 6:41 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:41:03 GMT
    While many people have the day off work, the day is actually meant to celebrate the achievements and contributions of American workers.

Two shot outside party in Tampa

Monday, September 1 2014 3:59 AM EDT2014-09-01 07:59:20 GMT
    Two people have gunshot wounds after a shooting outside a party in Tampa early Sunday morning, Tampa police said.

Pilot dies in plane crash near downtown St. Pete

Monday, September 1 2014 3:44 AM EDT2014-09-01 07:44:26 GMT
    Rescue boaters are on the scene of a downed banner plane near Albert Whitted Airport.Rescue boaters are on the scene of a downed banner plane near Albert Whitted Airport.
    The pilot of a banner plane that crashed into the water near Albert Whitted Airport has died, St. Petersburg police officials said.

• Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.