NC high court weighs need for statewide pre-K plan - WNCN: News, Weather

NC high court weighs need for statewide pre-K plan

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

North Carolina's Supreme Court started work Tuesday on deciding whether the state constitution's guarantee that every child is entitled to a chance at a sound, basic education requires giving needy 4-year-olds extra help that one estimate said could cost up to $300 million a year.
    
The state's high court heard attorneys argue in the latest chapter in a 19-year-old dispute brought by poor school districts in Hoke, Halifax, Robeson, Cumberland and Vance counties.
    
The court ruled in 2004 that the constitutional right to a sound, basic education includes helping young children who are at risk of falling behind their peers. Then-Gov. Mike Easley and legislative leaders committed to a program of pre-kindergarten services then named More at Four and told the court it would be gradually expanded to enroll 40,000 4-year-olds statewide at a cost of about $160 million.
    
But in 2011, new Republican majorities in the General Assembly effectively limited the program they renamed North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten by restricting the number of slots for at-risk 4-year-olds and cutting funding by 20 percent.
    
NC Pre-K enrolled about 25,000 children in 2012, down from a peak of about 35,000 in 2010. A September 2012 survey found that nearly 12,000 children were waiting for Pre-K services.
    
Superior Court Judge Howard Manning Jr., selected by the Supreme Court to oversee compliance with its earlier school-funding decisions, ruled in 2011 that state officials could not create barriers that would deny an eligible child admission where a program exists. Democratic Attorney General Roy Cooper, representing the General Assembly, appealed that decision.
    
Expanding the program to all 67,000 children who may be eligible could cost taxpayers up to $300 million a year, former Gov. Beverly Perdue's administration estimated last year. The state Health and Human Services Department, which now runs the program, said current enrollment in Pre-K is 26,707, a spokeswoman said.
    
Cooper's top appeals lawyer, John Maddrey, told the court Tuesday that state officials believe it's still a goal to expand the program helping needy 4-year-olds get ready for kindergarten, but its funding and scope aren't for a judge to decide.
    
"Their goal is to create a statewide system of pre-kindergarten and expand it over time, eventually to serve all people. That remains the goal. But that's not a binding, enforceable obligation of the state that requires the legislative branch to fund the program to achieve that goal," Maddrey said.
    
An attorney for the poor school districts countered that governors and legislative leaders hadn't simply committed to a plan or program that they could fund more or less based on their judgment. State officials were forced to respond after the Supreme Court determined a constitutional violation by failing to prepare needy 4-year-olds for school, attorney Melanie Black Dubis said.
    
"The state is saying in response to that, 'Well, we aspire to it. We'll get around to it. It's on our to-do list, eventually, maybe, to remedy a constitutional violation,' " she said.
    
The State Board of Education, for years a defendant in the school funding lawsuits, decided to switch sides, hire their own lawyers, and defend Manning's decision. The state school board's attorney, former Supreme Court justice Jim Exum, said previous legislative decisions agreeing to remedy a constitutional violation can't be discarded without something else in its place.
    
"That's the key to this case," he said.
 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
  • High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

    High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-04-22 16:27:58 GMT
    According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since. "In a way it's kind of
    According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.