Rep. Price says McCrory hasn't responded on questions about WIC - WNCN: News, Weather

Rep. Price says McCrory hasn't responded on questions about WIC

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

U.S. Rep. David Price says he has gotten no response from Gov. Pat McCrory on why North Carolina was the only state to announce it would end aid to low-income families, pregnant women and infants during the recent federal government shut down.
    
The Democrat from Chapel Hill said at a luncheon in Raleigh on Friday that the state's Republican administration appeared too eager to cut off help to poor families during the crisis.
    
Price suggested that North Carolina being alone among the 50 states in announcing it would end federal welfare-to-work assistance and food aid is a sign there is something "really wrong" with McCrory's administration. He and two other Democratic congressmen from North Carolina, Rep. Mel Watt of Charlotte and Rep. G.K. Butterfield of Wilson, sent an Oct. 15 letter questioning the decisions and asking McCrory to reverse course.
    
"I think it is a very troubling episode," Price said, speaking to a group of reporters. "Seems like they were almost too eager to cut off these benefits. That's the way it looked. If we were one out of 20 or 30 states, that would be different. But when you are one out of 50, that's pretty surely a sign of being an outlier."
    
Asked for response to Price's comments, McCrory spokesman Ryan Tronovitch said: "We appreciate Rep. Price getting in touch with us and we are glad that the federal shutdown is over."
    
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services announced earlier this month it was halting the supplemental food voucher program helping 264,000 low-income mothers and their young children due to the shutdown. But the agency announced two days later the program would resume issuing benefits because officials had located money to operate it through the end of October.
    
The state then announced it would stop accepting Work First applications and told counties they'd have to make do with fewer child care subsidy dollars because money wasn't authorized by Congress after Sept. 30. More than 20,700 North Carolinians received Work First services last month.
    
North Carolina was the only state not to extend services with state dollars and wait for reimbursement from the federal government. DHHS spokesman Ricky Diaz said earlier this week state that officials weren't persuaded North Carolina could count on that payback.
    
"There were pretty Republican and pretty conservative states that found this good enough and North Carolina is the only one out of 50 that did not," Price said Friday. "That's a pretty good tip off that there's something really wrong here."
    
Congressional legislation that passed Wednesday night to end the shutdown directed reimbursement to the states for federal programs that continued during the shutdown.
    
Price said had the shutdown not ended, he and the other North Carolina Democrats were poised to use their Congressional authority to demand answers from the state.
    
"We could have taken it much further, and would have, had the shutdown not ended," he said.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Monday, April 14 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-04-14 20:07:04 GMT
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
  • Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.