Prosecutor clears Charlotte officers in death - WNCN: News, Weather

Prosecutor clears Charlotte officers in death

Posted: Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -

An investigation has concluded two Charlotte police officers did nothing wrong when they shot and killed a teen during an undercover drug deal earlier this year.

The Charlotte Observer reported (http://bit.ly/1eHaYUm) that Mecklenburg District Attorney Andrew Murray has told Police Chief Rodney Monroe that a State Bureau of Investigation review found no wrongdoing by the officers.

Seventeen-year-old Jaquaz Walker died June 18 after he was shot as he tried to rob a police informant during a drug buy.

Walker's family had requested an investigation by the State Bureau of Investigation.

Murray says no criminal charges will be filed against the officers.

Police had targeted what they said were two gang members for a drug buy but the targets of the investigation tried to rob the informant when the shooting occurred.

Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Events Calendar

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.