1 dead in Wilson apartment fire - WNCN: News, Weather

1 dead in Wilson apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
WILSON, N.C. -

An apartment fire in Wilson claimed the life of one person Saturday morning, authorities said.

Wilson Fire and Rescue Services responded to a call in the 1700 block of Queen Street just after 3 a.m.

A neighbor called emergency services after their smoke detector went off, authorities said.

Heavy black and brown smoke filled the apartment when crews arrived. The kitchen, living room and second floor bedroom of the apartment were damaged by fire, authorities said.

Capt. Albert Austin Wilson Fire and Rescue Services said unattended cooking caused the fire. The victim began to heat up grease on the stove when they laid down on the couch and fell asleep.

The victim was transported to the hospital where they were pronounced dead. No one else was injured in the fire.

The identity of the victim has not been released.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.