Police: NCCU shooter still unknown - WNCN: News, Weather

Police: NCCU shooter still unknown

Posted: Updated:
NCCU Police respond to a possible "active shooter" on campus. (Justin Quesinberry, WNCN) NCCU Police respond to a possible "active shooter" on campus. (Justin Quesinberry, WNCN)
Crandall Ingram, a person of interest in a shooting on N.C. Central University's campus. Crandall Ingram, a person of interest in a shooting on N.C. Central University's campus.

N.C. Central University police tell WNCN the person of interest they have been looking for since Thursday's shooting has retained a lawyer and was supposed to visit the campus police department for an interview Friday but never showed up.

He appeared in court Friday morning in Durham on charges unrelated to the Thursday incident at the campus. NCCU police were unaware of his appearance according to the chief. But they said even if they were aware, they would not talk to him unless he volunteered, because warrants have not been signed on him, as he is no longer considered a suspect.

NCCU's campus was placed on lockdown Thursday afternoon after receiving reports of a firearm being discharged on Concord and Lawson streets.

The lockdown was lifted and the campus was given an all-clear after about 35 minutes.

NCCU police called Crandall Ingram a suspect Thursday, later calling him a person of interest Friday after questioning the intended victim and witnesses. Campus police are also looking to question additional individuals regarding the case.

The university said there were no reports of injuries related to the shooting. Police say the person who was shot at ran inside of a building.

"No one is injured, no one has been taken to the hospital," NCCU Police Chief Tim Bellamy said. "The person who was shot at is fine -- may be a little scared, but he's fine."

Bellamy said Ingram is currently wanted on outstanding warrants for trespassing on NCCU property and delaying/obstructing a law enforcement officer. Sources tell WNCN he has a girlfriend on campus, and that may be why he has returned recently.

Police said Ingram was previously banned from Central's campus and that an officer had tried to arrest him last week when he was seen on campus.

Ingram was previously arrested on July 24 in Guilford County on charges of possession of stolen goods; carrying a concealed weapon; two counts of conspiring to traffic marijuana; resisting, delaying or obstructing an officer; and maintaining a vehicle, dwelling or other place for controlled substances.

He was also arrested and charged on Nov. 12 for second degree trespassing, driving while license revoked and fleeing to allude arrest.

Students on campus said the emergency response worked well.  The university administration sent a stream of tweets along with text messages and emails within minutes of the shooting.  Campus-wide sirens also alerted students, some of whom thought it was a test at first.

"We just heard the sirens going off in class.  It didn't seem like much, but after the second set of sirens went off, we realized it was real," Wayne Murray said.

"I heard a loud noise, but I didn't recognize it was a gunshot until they put the campus on lockdown, until our system came on and said there was an armed gunman," Ashley Goss said.

Police said the suspect or suspects fled the scene in a champagne-colored four-door Chevrolet Impala.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.