Pitt Co. couple pleads guilty in murder-for-hire plot - WNCN: News, Weather

Pitt Co. couple pleads guilty in murder-for-hire plot

Posted: Updated:
GREENVILLE, N.C. -

A Pitt County couple has pleaded guilty in a murder-for-hire plot to kill two family members.

Sixty-six-year-old John Alton Moore Jr. and 59-year-old Edelmira Najera Nichols of Fountain pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of solicitation to commit murder.

They had been arrested in May and charged with trying to kill Nichols' former husband and the spouse of Moore's son.

Two counts of conspiracy and attempted first degree murder were dropped.

Prosecutor Clark Everett said Nichols and Moore talked with a man about killing the two in exchange for a home and gift cards. Everett says the couple gave the man money for a weapon.

The couple was arrested before the attempt was made.

They were sentenced to about five years in prison.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.