NHC Commissioner Berger's case continued again - WNCN: News, Weather

NHC Commissioner Berger's case continued again, officials waiting on lab results

Posted: Updated:
New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger (Source: NHC Jail) New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger (Source: NHC Jail)
  • NHC Commissioner Berger's case continued again, officials waiting on lab resultsMore>>

  • UPDATE: County Commissioner Brian Berger had a .08 BAC

    UPDATE: County Commissioner Brian Berger had a .08 BAC

    July 9, 2013 08:37 AM 2014-06-11 02:28:52 GMT
    NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger was arrested by the Wilmington Police Department overnight on a charge of Driving While Under the Influence, according to the
    New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger was arrested by the Wilmington Police Department overnight on a charge of Driving While Intoxicated, according to the New Hanover County Jail.
  • Berger's court date for DWI charge continued

    Berger's court date for DWI charge continued

    Sep 15, 2013 11:48 AM 2013-12-06 13:02:28 GMT
    NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger is in court Wednesday for a DWI he was charged with in Dec. of 2012. He said that the hopes the case is continued, though it
    New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger was in court Wednesday for a DWI he was charged with in Dec. of 2012.
  • Berger responds to being reinstated to board of commissioners

    Berger responds to being reinstated to board of commissioners

    Sep 9, 2013 07:59 PM 2013-12-06 13:03:11 GMT
    NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Special Superior Court Judge James L. Gale has ruled that Brian Berger has been restored to his position on the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners. His fellow commissioners
    Special Superior Court Judge James L. Gale has ruled that Brian Berger has been restored to his position on the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners.
  • Berger makes first appearance back with board

    Berger makes first appearance back with board

    Sep 16, 2013 11:53 PM 2013-12-06 13:03:57 GMT
    NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Brian Berger made his first appearance back with the New Hanover County Commissioners at their agenda review meeting Thursday.  Last week, a superior court judge ruled that
    Brian Berger made his first appearance back with the New Hanover County Commissioners at their agenda review meeting Thursday.

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger was set to appear in court Thursday for a DWI and drug charge he received in December 2013, but his case has been continued to a later date, officials said.

Berger's attorney Buddy Allard said officials are waiting on lab results for the case.

However, Berger is expected to face a judge later this month for his December 2012 DWI charges. 

The District Attorney's office announced last year that the case would be continued into 2014.

Berger's court date for that charge was originally scheduled for Tuesday, December 10. But, according to Samantha Dooies, Assistant to the District Attorney Ben David, both sides agreed to continue the case until January 29.

"In light of the new charges that Mr. Berger acquired last week [December 2013] and witness availability, both the state and the defense have agreed that a continuance in this case is in the best interest of both parties," Dooies said in an email. "The new court date will be January 29, 2014, at which time a special outside judge will be assigned to hear the case. It is still scheduled to be a trial."

Berger bonded out of jail around 7:45 p.m. on December 6, after being arrested around 12:45 a.m. that morning.

A judge denied a request to raise Berger's bond to $15,000, leaving it at the original $5,000. However, Berger's attorney, Buddy Allard, said Berger would not be able to pay that amount and Berger's family would not be helping him cover the cost.

According to jail documents, Berger was charged with DWI, impeding traffic and possession of schedule II drugs.

In court, Assistant District Attorney Alex Nicely called Berger a "danger to the community."

WPD spokesperson Linda Rawley said Berger was found in the middle of Masonboro Loop Road, slumped over the wheel unconscious.

"I was pulling into my neighborhood and there is a car parked in the middle of the intersection and they are not responsive," a woman told 911 operators. "I'm in the middle of the intersection making sure no one will come and hit the car."

The caller went on to say that she tried honking and knocking on the car door, but there was no response from Berger.

According to Rawley, officers found several bottles of pills in the car when they arrived on scene. Notes from the 911 call show Berger was driving a rental car from Hertz at the time.

Berger's attorney, Buddy Allard, says the drug cited for the possession charge was a prescription.

"There's no allegation that he was in possession of any illegal controlled substance," Allard said. "What he was charged with was a prescription medication that was not in a bottle with a prescription label attached with his name on it."

Berger will face that drug possession charge on Dec. 19 and will appear before a judge for Friday's DWI charge on Feb. 20.

Berger was charged with DWI on December 18, 2012.

District Attorney Ben David said that case was continued for several reasons. He says it will allow the court to bring in the officer that actually arrested Berger, who has since moved to New Jersey.

The New Hanover County Board of Commissioners removed Berger from the board in May via the "amotion process." A judge, however, sided with Berger's appeal and he was reinstated on the board, with a list of rules.

"His personal issues are no longer a distraction from the real work we are doing on key issues important to the citizens," Chairman Woody White said.

The new guidelines for Berger state he will not be able to use county vehicles or have a county credit card. He must be on time to meetings and he's not allowed to abuse his email privileges by sending what commissioners called "rambling emails" to county staff.

Commissioners said in September they would not seek another amotion hearing to remove Berger from the board if things went well over the next few weeks.

There is no word at this time what commissioners plan to do moving forward.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • McIntyre receives prestigious "Order of the Long Leaf Pine"

    McIntyre receives prestigious "Order of the Long Leaf Pine"

    Monday, September 1 2014 11:52 PM EDT2014-09-02 03:52:38 GMT
    Retiring Seventh District Congressman Mike McIntyre was inducted into The Order of the Long Leaf Pine, the highest civilian honor bestowed in the state of North Carolina. McIntyre received a certificate
    Rep. Mike McIntyre has received the highest honor given by the state of North Carolina, induction into the prestigious Order of the Long Leaf Pine. The honor given to McIntyre for his 18 years of service to the people of North Carolina as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
  • Davis, Hamilton write Governor urging special session; AFP opposes idea

    Davis, Hamilton write Governor urging special session; AFP opposes idea

    Friday, August 29 2014 7:30 AM EDT2014-08-29 11:30:47 GMT
    Rep. Ted Davis (R-New Hanover) and Rep. Susi Hamilton (D-New Hanover) are spearheading an effort to get Gov. Pat McCrory to call a special session of the General Assembly to deal solely with economic development
    Local lawmakers' request for a special session is being met with some opposition tonight. Reps. Ted Davis & Susi Hamilton of New Hanover County believe a session focused solely on economic development is needed. But one conservative group is opposing the need for lawmakers to meet again to increase the JDIG program.
  • UPDATE: Coal ash bill approved by House & Senate, headed to Governor's desk

    UPDATE: Coal ash bill approved by House & Senate, headed to Governor's desk

    Thursday, August 21 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-08-21 11:37:34 GMT
    Republican leaders in the General Assembly say they have reached a compromise deal on implementing new coal ash regulations, and forcing Duke Energy to close all 33 of its coal ash ponds across North Carolina. According
    House and senate lawmakers in the NC General Assembly passed a bill mandating cleanup of all Duke Energy coal ash ponds by the year 2029. The action follows a massive spill of coal ash into the Dan River in February from a company site in Eden. You can click on a link inside this story to see the specifics of the bill, which is now headed to the Governor's desk.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.