NC Gov. McCrory not showing hand on jobless aid - WNCN: News, Weather

NC Gov. McCrory not showing hand on jobless aid

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Gov. Pat McCrory's administration isn't saying whether it would seek to restore emergency benefits to the long-term unemployed should Congress pass a law allowing North Carolina back into the program.

The U.S. Senate voted earlier this week on reviving the benefits nationwide for an additional three months. The bill also includes a provision allowing North Carolina workers to receive those benefits too after they were terminated in July. That happened when the legislature enacted benefit reductions in the state unemployment program in early 2013.

A McCrory spokesman said Wednesday the office wouldn't comment unless the bill became law. And the head of the agency for North Carolina jobless benefits told a General Assembly oversight committee his office is always looking at contingency plans.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • BusinessMore>>

  • UPS expects to hire up to 95,000 seasonal workers

    UPS expects to hire up to 95,000 seasonal workers

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 9:31 AM EDT2014-09-16 13:31:28 GMT
    UPS plans to hire up to 95,000 seasonal workers to help with package deliveries during the busy holiday season.
    UPS plans to hire up to 95,000 seasonal workers to help with package deliveries during the busy holiday season.
  • US producer prices unchanged in August

    US producer prices unchanged in August

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 9:21 AM EDT2014-09-16 13:21:42 GMT
    A measure of prices that producers receive for their goods and services was unchanged in August, the latest sign that inflation is in check.
    A measure of prices that producers receive for their goods and services was unchanged in August, the latest sign that inflation is in check.
  • Another Atlantic City bust: Trump Plaza closes

    Another Atlantic City bust: Trump Plaza closes

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 9:13 AM EDT2014-09-16 13:13:30 GMT
    When Trump Plaza opened on May 14, 1984, Donald Trump called it the finest building in Atlantic City, and possibly the nation.
    Trump Plaza Hotel & Casino closed its doors early Tuesday, the fourth Atlantic City casino to go belly-up so far this year.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.