RALEIGH: USDA threatens to pull NC's food assistance funding - WNCN: News, Weather

USDA threatens to pull NC's food assistance funding

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

The federal government may pull funding for food stamps if the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services fails to significantly correct problems within the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, according to letters between the USDA and NC DHHS, obtained by WNCN.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture said the state failed to provide a detailed corrective action plan to address delays in the program. They have since submitted another, and it is under review.

NC Fast is the statewide computer system aimed at quickly getting food stamps to people in need. But the program has proven to be anything but quick as an application backlog has meant that people are going hungry.

Food bank organizations in Raleigh, Nashville, Wilson and Fayetteville have all previously told WNCN that food stamp recipients are turning to them because they are not getting what they need through NC Fast. In fact, at the Helping Hand Mission in Raleigh, the situation has become so dire that the NC Fast program is nicknamed "NC Fasting."

This latest revelation comes on the heels of DHHS admitting they violated patient privacy laws after nearly 50,000 children's insurance cards were sent to the wrong people.

Thursday, officials with the USDA told WNCN that they received a response from the state in regards to the funding threat, on Dec. 23. However, at this time, they say it is unclear if the steps DHHS has taken will be acceptable, and the food stamp program is still in jeopardy.

DHHS sent WNCN a statement late today saying, "DHHS has already taken steps to ensure that applications and re-certifications are processed in a timely fashion and submitted a corrective action plan to address the concerns raised by the USDA."

"DHHS continues to work closely with county social services agencies and are monitoring our progress weekly. Our work will continue until all clients are receiving benefits in a timely manner," said DHHS Deputy Secretary for Human Services Sherry Bradsher.

More than 1.7 million North Carolina residents receive SNAP benefits.

On Friday, the North Carolina Legislative Black Caucus will call on the Gov. Pat McCrory to take action against DHHS. They, and other lawmakers are also calling on Secretary of DHHS, Aldona Wos to resign.

"There has been problem after problem. Fiasco after fiasco, and it cant continue with this avalanche of mismanagement," said democratic Senator Floyd B. McKissick, Jr.

Thursday night, the state GOP released a statement, calling the criticism of DHHS politically motivated.

RELATED STORIES

Jonathan Carlson

Jonathan is an investigative reporter and anchor with over a decade of experience. Jonathan has broken stories that have resulted in local and statewide change. Contact our Investigative Team anytime HERE. More>>

  • North Carolina NewsMore>>

  • Officials: Jail escapees held detective at gunpoint, stole vehicle and weapons

    Officials: Jail escapees held detective at gunpoint, stole vehicle and weapons

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:11 PM EDT2014-07-30 01:11:04 GMT
    Calvin and Phillip Metcalf were being held on larceny charges on Tuesday morning when they held an Avery County detective at gunpoint and escaped custody.
    Calvin and Phillip Metcalf were being held on larceny charges on Tuesday morning when they held an Avery County detective at gunpoint and escaped custody.
  • Missionary groups call for evacuation from Liberia

    Missionary groups call for evacuation from Liberia

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:19 PM EDT2014-07-30 00:19:57 GMT
    Dr. Kent Brantly of Samaritan’s Purse cares for a patient at the case management center on the campus of ELWA Hospital in Monrovia. (Samaritan's Purse)Dr. Kent Brantly of Samaritan’s Purse cares for a patient at the case management center on the campus of ELWA Hospital in Monrovia. (Samaritan's Purse)
    Two North Carolina-based missionary groups have ordered the evacuation of their non-essential personnel from Liberia after a doctor and a missionary contracted Ebola.
    Two North Carolina-based missionary groups have ordered the evacuation of their non-essential personnel from Liberia after a doctor and a missionary contracted Ebola.
  • NC man arrested in 20-year-old rape case

    NC man arrested in 20-year-old rape case

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:37 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:37:26 GMT
    Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police detective say they have arrested a man for his part in a 20-year-old sexual assault case.
    Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police detective say they have arrested a man for his part in a 20-year-old sexual assault case.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.