DURHAM: 3rd march for Huerta turns violent - WNCN: News, Weather

3rd march for Huerta turns violent following peaceful vigil

Posted: Updated:
Protesters spray painted police cars outside a police substation following a vigil for Jesus Huerta. Protesters spray painted police cars outside a police substation following a vigil for Jesus Huerta.

Another vigil and march for a Durham teen who died while in police custody in November ended with more arrests as the frustration with the Durham Police Department continues.

Six people were arrested Sunday on charges of unauthorized entry and assembly in a city-owned parking facility, and resist, delay and obstruct, police said. Police said about 120 people marched to a police substation on Rigsbee Avenue, where they broke windows, spray painted police cars and covered another police cruiser in ketchup.

Police said many of the marchers donned masks as they approached the District 5 substation on Rigsbee Avenue.

Four adults were arrested on charges of unauthorized entry and assembly in a city owned parking facility and resist, delay and obstruct. Two juveniles were also charged with the same charges but released to their parents.

No arrests were made for the vandalism, police said.

The march was for 17-year-old Jesus Huerta who died Nov. 19, 2013, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the mouth while he was handcuffed in the backseat of a Durham police cruiser.

Since that night, Huerta's death has been a lightning rod of controversy and debate. And just this week, a final report from Durham police, along with text messages between Chief Jose Lopez and the city manager, concluded that the 17-year-old was not searched properly when he was arrested.

Huerta's family and supported gathered for another vigil in Durham Sunday, this time at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church Sunday night.

"The family is a grieving family, a wounded family, and I've talked to the family a couple of times and they are wonderful people who had a terrible loss," Durham City Councilor Steve Schewel said, "and the community wants to come together to support them."

The vigil was sponsored by the Religious Coalition for a Nonviolent Durham, but the march preceded it was anything but peaceful.

During the last protest in December, police in full riot gear used tear gas to clear out crowds that they claimed became violent.

A rally on Nov. 22, 2013 also became disorderly when participants threw road flares and firecrackers, damaged a police car and broke windows at Durham Police Headquarters.


Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.