NC schools worried about reading requirement - WNCN: News, Weather

NC schools worried about reading requirement

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

Local school superintendents and legislators complained Tuesday about the execution of reading assessment standards third-graders must meet before getting promoted to the next grade, which are stressing out students and teachers alike.
    
The state's top educator sought to ease worries that most of the state's 105,000 third-graders would have to attend reading boot camps this summer and suggested an alternative assessment method was more workable. But Superintendent of Public Instruction June Atkinson acknowledged the new way of doing things was placing new pressure on students and educators to succeed.
    
"I have faith in our teachers," Atkinson said at General Assembly oversight committee. "But at the same time, I recognize the standards are challenging and that the content is more difficult."
    
A 2012 state law championed by Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, directed a tough-love approach to help students meet proficiency standards in reading before they can start fourth grade. About 65 percent of North Carolina fourth-graders last year read below proficiency levels on a national exam considered more difficult than recent North Carolina reading tests.
    
The "Read to Achieve" law gives third-graders five paths to meet the promotion requirement in reading. One of those paths has teachers giving as many as 36 mini-tests to some students beginning this month through the end of the school year. The child answers questions based on the passage must pass 70 percent of the time to meet promotion standards.
    
Local school district chiefs told lawmakers this "portfolio" testing requirement got off to a rocky start for their teachers, who are already feeling the weight of other standardized tests and low morale after years without pay raises. The mini-tests are designed to prove students are proficient in each of 12 reading standards.
    
Beaufort County Schools Superintendent Don Phipps said schools received passages just a few weeks ago that form the basis of the assessments. He said teachers must spend at least 30 minutes three times a week on the assessments. They also question whether the passages are too hard for third-graders.
    
"I will tell you that the portfolio implementation in our county has not been a pleasant experience for teachers or for students," Davie County Schools Superintendent Darrin Hartness told the Joint Legislative Commission on Governmental Operations.
    
Students who don't qualify for promotion through one of the five paths would be offered a 6- to 8-week summer reading camp. They would have another chance to advance to the next grade by taking a test after camp or during a combined third- and fourth-grade class next fall. There are some exceptions, such as for children with limited English proficiency.
    
Atkinson said teachers shouldn't be using the portfolio assessment on all children.
    
She said 19 percent of all students scored well enough on a larger reading test at the start of the school year to already qualify for promotion, while another 32 percent of the test takers had scores that showed they could be on their way to meeting the standards with school-year help.
    
The Read to Achieve law allows the State Board of Education to approve alternative assessments proposed by local school districts.  Hartness said 15 Triad-area school districts have proposed an alternative to be considered next week by the board. If approved, it would be available to all 115 districts statewide.
    
Republican legislators pushed back on the department run by Atkinson, a Democrat, accusing the agency of poor communication with districts about the law. "This was foisted upon you at the last minute," Sen. Jerry Tillman, R-Randolph, told Phipps. "We're at the 11½ hour for something that should have been done 15 or 18 months ago."
    
Legislators talked about teachers in tears over their extra workload and students not wanting to go to school because of the extra tests. Berger, the committee's co-chairman, told colleagues he was committed to ensure children had an opportunity to be successful in school and in life.
    
"The frustration level for our kids is not something that we should tolerate, but the inability to read is not something that we should tolerate either," he said.

  • Wake CountyMore>>

  • More than $100k in penalties issued in NC State Fair accident

    More than $100k in penalties issued in NC State Fair accident

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 5:26 PM EDT2014-04-23 21:26:10 GMT
    Five people were injured on the Vortex when the ride jolted into motion at the 2013 N.C. State Fair.Five people were injured on the Vortex when the ride jolted into motion at the 2013 N.C. State Fair.
    The Department of Labor issued more than $100k in penalties in connection with an accident at the State Fair in 2013 that injured five people.
    The Department of Labor issued more than $100k in penalties in connection with an accident at the State Fair in 2013 that injured five people.
  • Raleigh police release photos of robbers of sweepstakes parlor

    Raleigh police release photos of robbers of sweepstakes parlor

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:08 PM EDT2014-04-23 20:08:46 GMT
    Raleigh police released images of two suspects said to have shot a man at an Internet sweepstakes parlor in Raleigh Wednesday on Crabtree Boulevard.

    Raleigh police released images of two suspects said to have shot a man at an Internet sweepstakes parlor in Raleigh Wednesday on Crabtree Boulevard.
  • 9th suspect arrested in Wake Forest kidnapping

    9th suspect arrested in Wake Forest kidnapping

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 1:01 PM EDT2014-04-23 17:01:55 GMT
    Frank Janssen was kidnapped from his Wake Forest home on April 5.Frank Janssen was kidnapped from his Wake Forest home on April 5.
    The ninth suspect named in an indictment handed up Tuesday has been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man.   
    The ninth suspect named in an indictment handed up Tuesday has been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man.   
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Mom wins lawsuit against TSA after breast milk screening problems

    Mom wins lawsuit against TSA after breast milk screening problems

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:40 PM EDT2014-04-23 20:40:54 GMT
    A Southern California woman who was held at a Phoenix airport four years ago after refusing to have her breast milk X-rayed has reached a settlement with the Transportation Security Administration. Stacey
    A Southern California woman who was held at a Phoenix airport four years ago after refusing to have her breast milk X-rayed has reached a settlement with the Transportation Security Administration. Stacey
  • Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Monday, April 14 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-04-14 20:07:04 GMT
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.