Brown says her son banged on the front door while she went around to the carport.
Officials said the battery in the smoke detector died.
Instead of just calling 911, the mother and son stopped, got out of the car, and took action.
(WMC-TV) - An undetected house fire started in the attic early Wednesday morning when a family of six slept—until there was loud banging and yelling at the door.
"And my son said, 'Mama, somebody's house on fire, somebody's house on fire,' " said Nyisha Brown of West Memphis, who happened to be nearby Marion at the time of the fire.
She and her teenage son smelled smoke and then saw flames shooting from the roof of the house on Surrey Trace. Instead of just calling 911, they stopped, got out of the car, and took action.
Brown says her son banged on the front door while she went around to the carport. David and Jessica Spencer along with their children—ages 15, nine, three, and 14 months—were quickly roused and seeking safety outside.
"And within those five minutes after we got everybody out and the roof just went in," said Brown.
Officials said the battery in the smoke detector died. The landlord stayed surprisingly unphased by the total loss of his rental property. He said the family's escape was nothing short of a miracle.
"It was a blessing," he said. "It can be rebuilt as long as no one was hurt or lost their lives ... That's the main thing."
Brown cannot help but think what might have been without her intervention.
"I think by this weekend they would be burying two parents and four children," she said.