RALEIGH: Groups complain NC schools keep immigrant kids out - WNCN: News, Weather

Groups complain NC schools keep immigrant kids out

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

Civil rights groups want the U.S. Justice Department to launch a federal investigation into whether North Carolina school districts are refusing to enroll some immigrant children although public schools are required to take all comers.
    
The groups said Tuesday they filed a complaint last week with the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division against school districts in Buncombe and Union counties. The complaint says the school districts told two 17-year-old immigrant children with limited English skills they were too old for high school.
    
The groups including Legal Services of Southern Piedmont in Charlotte and the Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center say the immigrant children are too often being turned away from North Carolina classrooms.
    
Spokesmen for the Union and Buncombe county schools districts did not respond to messages Tuesday seeking comment.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.