RALEIGH: 2 brothers to be tried separately for break-ins - WNCN: News, Weather

2 brothers to be tried separately for Raleigh break-ins

Posted: Updated:
Jahaad Marshall Jahaad Marshall
Shabar Marshall Shabar Marshall
RALEIGH, N.C. -

A Wake County judge ruled Monday that Jahaad and Shabar Marshall, two brothers accused of home invasions in Raleigh, should be tried separately.

Shabar and Jahaad Marshall are on trial for a couple of violent home invasions in Raleigh from December 2012 to January 2013, including one that left a man partially paralyzed.

Raleigh Police say that on Jan. 7, the brothers broke into a home in the Oakwood neighborhood in downtown Raleigh and tried to sexually assault a woman who lived there.

Her husband, Jason Beyer, was shot in the back trying to stop them.

Both Beyers are expected to testify.

Shabar Marshall pleaded guilty to some of the charges, including first-degree sex offense and attempted murder. But Jahaad has so far pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.

Jahaad's attorney, Deonte Thomas, wanted a mistrial due to Shabar's guilty plea and wanted both defendants tried separately. Shabar's attorney, George Kelly, does not want the two tried separately.

The judge Monday granted the motion for mistrial and they will be tried separately. Jahaad Marshall will be tried first with a new jury.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.