FAYETTEVILLE: Apartment fire caused by discarded cigarette - WNCN: News, Weather

Fayetteville apartment fire caused by discarded cigarette, investigators say

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters battle a blaze at Brookstone Apartments in Fayetteville. Firefighters battle a blaze at Brookstone Apartments in Fayetteville.
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -

A fire that damaged six apartment units in Fayetteville was sparked by a smoldering cigarette butt, investigators said.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at Brookstone Apartments off Cliffdale Road around 4:45 p.m. Friday.

The fire was controlled within one hour utilizing 10 fire engines and three truck companies.

Investigators determined the fire was accidental and was sparked by a discarded cigarette on a balcony.

Investigators believe windy conditions on Friday accelerated the fire, causing it to spread to other units.

RELATED STORIES

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.