RALEIGH: Judge denies Duke's request to shield records - WNCN: News, Weather

Judge denies Duke's request to shield records

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

A judge has denied Duke Energy’s motion to shield its records from North Carolina regulators and environmental groups as an investigation into the company’s coal ash dumps continues.

Duke argued that if the records were released, it could would provide negative publicity for the company and impact a grand jury trial.

Federal prosecutors have issued at least 23 subpoenas as part of a widening criminal probe triggered by the Feb. 2 spill at Duke's plant in Eden, which coated 70 miles of the Dan River in toxic sludge.

Duke received two subpoenas ordering the company to provide reams of documents to a grand jury that has convened in Raleigh. Duke says the records include 14 million emails and one million documents.

But the Southern Environmental Law Center argued that it’s not asking grand jury documents, they are asking for coal ash pond pollution documents that they previously asked for before the trial even started.

SELC says the documents are needed to continue their case against Duke.

On Friday, a judge ordered Duke to provide those documents, but some of the documents could be labeled "confidential" from the public.

RELATED STORIES

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this article.


Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.