RALEIGH: NC Highway Patrol cracking down on speeders - WNCN: News, Weather

NC Highway Patrol cracking down on speeders

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

The North Carolina Highway Patrol is warning drivers that troopers will be out in force over the next week looking for speeders and other dangerous drivers.

Operation Slow Down begins on Monday with troopers using both marked and unmarked cars to catch violators on interstates and major four-lane highways.

Authorities say that speed is the biggest cause of wrecks and fatalities both in the state and across the nation.

Last year, North Carolina troopers issued almost 20,000 tickets statewide during Operation Slow Down. More than 8,000 of those were for speeding.

The operation continues through next Sunday.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.