CREEDMOOR: Grandparents killed in fire - WNCN: News, Weather

Grandparents killed in fire near Creedmoor

Posted: Updated:
CREEDMOOR, N.C. -

Two people died Tuesday morning when a fire ripped through their home near Creedmoor.

The victims have been identified as husband and wife Sam and Madelene Long. Sam was 88 years old and Madelene was 76 years old.

Their son, Royal Long, said his mother had lung cancer and was undergoing chemotherapy.

She had been battling cancer for the last eight months.

Long said he was unsure of how the fire started.

Officials on scene told WNCN they believe it may have started in the living room where a wood heater was located.

This wasn't the first time the Long's had a fire at the home, according to Royal Long. He said there was a chimney fire six or seven years ago in April.

A man in his 20s came home from work early Tuesday morning and saw the house on fire and ran to help. He broke the back door, dragged Sam into the yard and tried to perform CPR.

Sam died at the hospital and Madelene died on scene.

The couple had two children and six grandchildren.

Copyright WNCN 2014. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.