5 eastern NC counties report tornado touchdowns - WNCN: News, Weather

5 eastern NC counties report tornado touchdowns

Posted: Updated:
Cumberland County emergency officials are investigating reports of a tornado in the eastern part of the county Tuesday. Cumberland County emergency officials are investigating reports of a tornado in the eastern part of the county Tuesday.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -

At least five counties in eastern North Carolina reported tornadoes on Tuesday as the system that ignited violent weather across the South closed in on the state, the National Weather Service said.

Cumberland County emergency officials were investigating reports of a tornado in the eastern part of the county. Emergency Services Director Randy Beeman said law enforcement was dispatched to the area of Stedman. Beeman said trees were toppled and there was structural damage but there were no immediate reports of injuries.

The weather service also had unconfirmed reports of a tornado on the ground in Sampson County east of Autryville.

In Edgecombe County, a touchdown was reported with a roof blown off a home, numerous trees down and minor structural damage.

"It got real dark, so dark you couldn't see. The heavy rain first, then the wind was calm, and all of a sudden it got real rough out here," said Clinton Williams.

The roof Steve Weathersby's home on Mooring Road in Conetoe landed more than 50 yards in his backyard.

"I'm safe and my family is safe. Nobody was hurt down here, so I'm good," Weathersby said.

A family of five was inside their home on Mooring Road when a tree fell on their roof.

"We were freaking out. Running from one endof the house to the other trying to get everybody in the bathroom," said Susanne Martin.

No one was hurt when the tree damaged the home.

A tornado briefly touched down in Craven County, and there was a reported sighting in Jones County. There were no reports of damages or injuries.

Widespread flooding was reported in the city of Wilson. Police told The Wilson Times that some vehicles had been stranded and drivers were being urged to stay off local streets. To the west, emergency personnel in Buncombe County rescued a number of people from their homes as a creek flooded north of Asheville.

The storms that rumbled across the South and Midwest over two days have killed at least 35 people. In North Carolina, no deaths have been reported in the most recent storms. An 11-month-old died from a tornado that hit Beaufort County last Friday.

A tornado watch was in effect for parts of central and eastern North Carolina until 9 p.m. Tuesday, but was later extended until 11 p.m. Meteorologist Mike Strickler said Wednesday would likely be a repeat performance and could cover a wider area.

"A frontal zone that's the focus is going to be lifting through later (Tuesday) night and especially Wednesday," Strickler said. "We may not have one focused area of persistent storms. Tomorrow, it's probably going to encompass a larger area."

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. WNCN contributed to this report.
  • North Carolina NewsMore>>

  • Man taken into custody after chase, standoff on I-77

    Man taken into custody after chase, standoff on I-77

    Thursday, July 31 2014 7:29 PM EDT2014-07-31 23:29:06 GMT
    The incident happened after a reported chase southbound on I-77 that ended in the Troutman area where a dump truck appears to have wrecked in the wood line near a rest stop.
    The incident happened after a reported chase southbound on I-77 that ended in the Troutman area where a dump truck appears to have wrecked in the wood line near a rest stop.
  • UNC system releases report on campus safety

    UNC system releases report on campus safety

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:28 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:28:25 GMT
    The UNC Campus Security Initiative issued its final report Thursday, offering a comprehensive review and recommendations for improving safety and security across the 17-campus University of North Carolina.
    The UNC Campus Security Initiative issued its final report Thursday, offering a comprehensive review and recommendations for improving safety and security across the 17-campus University of North Carolina.
  • Samaritan doctor sickened with Ebola lets Charlotte missionary take serum

    Samaritan doctor sickened with Ebola lets Charlotte missionary take serum

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:08:32 GMT
    A doctor who contracted Ebola while serving with Samaritan's Purse in Liberia took a "slight turn for the worse" on Wednesday night but is being called heroic by people around him. Dr. Kent Brantly was
    "Yesterday, an experimental serum arrived in the country, but there was only enough for one person. Dr. Brantly asked that it be given to Nancy Writebol," said Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.