"Savannah" was having seizures when she was found. Photo courtesy Animal Health Veterinary Clinic in Brooksville
BROOKSVILLE, FL (WFLA) -
A 5-month-old Golden Retriever puppy is fighting to stay alive after she was found with an extension cord tied around her neck and having seizures on the side of a Brooksville road.
A good Samaritan saw the puppy on Tuesday morning and took her to the Animal Health Veterinary Clinic in Brooksville. The staff at the clinic has been giving round-the-clock care to the severely injured dog. They are not sure if she will survive.
"She's not out of the woods yet," said the clinic's office manager.
"We don't know what the outcome is going to be," she added. "It's a day to day thing."
The dog, which has been nicknamed "Savannah", is blind and continues to suffer from seizures.
Staff at the clinic think she may have suffered brain trauma.
"We really don't know what happened to her," said the office manager, who did not want her name released.
In addition to having the cord wrapped around her neck, Savannah had electrical wire in her stomach. Before she was rescued, she had been gnawing at her neck to remove the extension cord and wound up swallowing some of the wiring. She has since passed most of the wire. Savannah is able to eat and drink on her own. The vet clinic's staff has been taking her outside for fresh air.
"She's a sweet little girl," said the office manager.
Savannah may be taken to another clinic to get an MRI, which could help explain what is causing the seizures.
Word has spread fast in Hernando about Savannah. Animal lovers have been calling the clinic to offer money and kind words.
"We've had an amazing amount of phone calls," said the office manager. "We have a lot of people donating."
The clinic has a "Guardian Angel Fund" that people can donate to. For information about donating, call (352) 596-8326.
The Animal Health Veterinary Clinic is located at 13160 Jacqueline Rd., in Brooksville.