CHAPEL HILL: Folt says school will 'do what we have to do' - WNCN: News, Weather

UNC chancellor says school did not believe investigation 'would be finished'

Posted: Updated:
UNC Chancellor Carol Folt said university administrators did not believe "that everything would necessarily be finished" in regard to the NCAA investigation. UNC Chancellor Carol Folt said university administrators did not believe "that everything would necessarily be finished" in regard to the NCAA investigation.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -

The chancellor of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill says she is not surprised the NCAA plans to reopen its investigation into academic irregularities at the school.

On Monday, UNC athletics director Bubba Cunningham said the school received "a verbal notice of inquiry from the NCAA" that its investigation will continue, adding another layer to the ongoing investigation of Carolina in wake of the problems with the football program.

"The NCAA has determined that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might now be willing to speak with the enforcement staff," Cunningham said in a statement.

UNC Chancellor Carol Folt said Tuesday that she is not surprised by the NCAA's announcement because she had been informed since she came to the university a year ago that new evidence could come to light.

"I don't think we believed -- even at that moment -- that everything would necessarily be finished," Folt said. "Even when I came, people had been saying if new evidence came forward, we're not going to avoid that. We're going to go directly into that and do what we have to do to get this matter fully understood so we can resolve it."

Folt said she has been working to evaluate everything from admissions to graduation to make sure everything was done right and with integrity. She added that she has taken advantage of past investigations to put in place "true metrics" and "open transparency."

The new probe by the NCAA comes after Carolina hired former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein in February to investigate the UNC academic irregularities. Wainstein told the UNC system Board of Governors June 20 that his team had the cooperation of Julius Nyang’oro, the former chair of key people in the African and Afro-American Studies program, and Deborah Crowder, the former department manager.

Wainstein said he expects his committee to have a report in the fall.

Nyang'oro was indicted on a felony fraud count in December, charged with being paid $12,000 to teach a summer 2011 lecture course that did not meet and was treated as an independent study filled with football players.

However last week, Orange County district attorney Jim Woodall said he is considering dropping that charge because Nyang'oro has cooperated with Wainstein and the school recovered the money.

Woodall told WNCN on Tuesday that the new information that led to the NCAA re-launching its investigation did not come from him. He said he has not talked with the organization.

He said he might have a decision on whether to drop the charge against Nyang'oro later this week.

In March 2012, the NCAA banned Carolina from postseason play in football for the 2012 season and put the football program on probation for three years. Carolina lost five football scholarships each year.

The NCAA also ruled that defensive coordinator John Blake, who had been fired by the school, could not be hired by an NCAA school for three years without that school showing why they shouldn't be punished for hiring him.

RELATED STORIES

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.