9-year-old girl dies from 'brain-eating amoeba' - WNCN: News, Weather

9-year-old girl dies from 'brain-eating amoeba'

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy KWSF Facebook Courtesy KWSF Facebook
Courtesy KWSF Facebook Courtesy KWSF Facebook
ALBANY, GA (WFLA) - A 9-year-old Kansas girl has died after an infection from a rare 'brain-eating amoeba,' according to the health department.

The Kansas Department of Health says the girl, 9-year-old Hally Lust, likely received the infection from amoeba while swimming in freshwater over Fourth of July weekend. 

The health department states the "risk of infection is extremely low" but increases during the summer when water temperatures rise and more people are in waters. 

"The infection typically occurs when the amoeba enters the body through the nose while the person is swimming underwater or diving and travels to the brain," the health department states in a news release, as reported by NBC affiliate KSHB.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says you can't get infected by drinking water contaminated with Naegleria fowleri - or brain-eating amoeba - which caused the young girl's death.

From 1962 to 2013, there have been 132 cases reported in the United States, with 34 of those cases occurring from 2004 to 2013. Most cases have occurred in southern-tier states.

Hally was a water skier, with the Mokan Water Ski Club, who expressed their condolences on Facebook saying a memorial plaque will be placed at the water ski site. 

"On July 8th our family suffered a devastating loss. Hally Yust, 9 of Spring Hill, KS fell victim to a rare bacterial infection that took her life. Hally was an amazing child that had become great friends with many of the other children at Mokan Ski Club and was considered our family. Her loss is one that will be felt for years to come. However we will always remember the great joy that she gave us. Our deepest condolences go to the Yust family and all of their loved ones impacted by this shocking loss," the Facebook page states. 

The Kansas Department of Health says symptoms usually appear about five days after infection and cannot be spread from person to person or contracted from a properly maintained swimming pool.

Though the risk of infection is extremely low, the following precautions might decrease the possibility of infection:

  • Hold your nose shut, use nose clips, or keep your head above water when taking part in water-related activities in bodies of warm freshwater.
  • Avoid putting your head under the water in hot springs and other untreated thermal waters.
  • Avoid water-related activities in warm freshwater during periods of high water temperature.
  • Avoid digging in, or stirring up, the sediment while taking part in water-related activities in shallow, warm freshwater areas.

There is no known way to control the occurrence of Naeglaria fowleri in freshwater lakes and rivers.

Copyright 2014 WFLA. All rights reserved.




  • Don't Miss ItMore>>

  • Dramatic doggie makeovers put new face to pet adoption

    Dramatic doggie makeovers put new face to pet adoption

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:14 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:14:31 GMT
    What a difference a bath can make! Millions of shelter dogs across the United States just need a little bit of grooming and TLC in order to shine, as evidenced by these photos.
    What a difference a bath can make! Millions of shelter dogs across the United States just need a little bit of grooming and TLC in order to shine, as evidenced by these photos.
  • Koala survives 54-mile ride clinging to car's grill

    Koala survives 54-mile ride clinging to car's grill

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 1:59 PM EDT2014-07-29 17:59:42 GMT
    Timberwolf clung to a car for 54 miles. Australia Zoo Facebook photoTimberwolf clung to a car for 54 miles. Australia Zoo Facebook photo
    An adorable little koala survived an amazing high-speed ride by clinging to a car for 54 miles on an Australia highway. The koala suffered a torn nail during the ordeal.
    An adorable little koala survived an amazing high-speed ride by clinging to a car for 54 miles on an Australia highway. The koala suffered a torn nail during the ordeal.
  • FWC: Lionfish need to be removed from Florida waters

    FWC: Lionfish need to be removed from Florida waters

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:48 AM EDT2014-07-29 14:48:07 GMT
    Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is changing management rules of invasive lionfish to remove them from state waters. Lionfish was introduced to state waters in the 1980s, and since then, populations have boomed in recent years, negatively impacting native wildlife and habitat, the FWC says.
    Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is changing management rules of invasive lionfish to remove them from state waters. Lionfish was introduced to state waters in the 1980s, and since then, populations have boomed in recent years, negatively impacting native wildlife and habitat, the FWC says.
  • Most Viewed Stories on WFLA.com

  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

    * denotes required fields






    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

1205 Front St., Raleigh
N.C., 27609

Telephone: 919.836.1717
Fax: 919.836.1687
Email: newstips@wncn.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.